Thursday 5 July 2012

I quite like the idea of wearing snakeskin loafers without socks

I will be the first to say that I am not the kind of "bloke" that will go around to the bar and watch the rugby with mates, but when it comes to dressing, I know how a man should dress and I think secretly how most men do want to dress.

Instead of trying to show men what they "should" wear - designers should make clothes that men "want" to wear.

Many designers, instead of making a distinct look for their menswear collection, apart from their womenswear collections because really - some of the time it seems like they just make the menswear collections out of every scrap and sequin left over on the sewing room floor. It is all good and well to want to introduce men to new aspects, fabrics, textures etc etc etc, but it should be an evolution, not a radical transformation.

I think that is why I love Balmain so much. They create clothes for men, and what a man whats to look like not necessarily what they want a man to look like. Not all men are as "Avant-Guarde" and out there as the majority of the fashion forward gay men in the fashion industry.

I know I am not very good at explaining myself so sorry if I repeat or if I don't use the best language but I hate re-reading things over and over. I just type as I think.

Basically, I do think that menswear is drastically behind when compared to womenswear in terms of sales and the industry as a whole but in order for it to grow, it needs to be appealing to the majority of men who can buy it, but the majority of men are not as open to new concepts in fashion and it should be introduced slowly.

I understand the point that Burberry was trying to make with the Spring/Summer 2013 collection, and I applaud him for trying to introduce new fabrics, colours and textures to menswear but really? What man will really wear that coat in the image below.

Really now, who would you like to look like: James Dean or Liberace?

Burberry SS 2013
"Liberace" 
Balmain SS 2013
"James Dean"



























*****




No comments:

Post a Comment